Step Beyond Celiac is a fun run/walk event for the entire family! Currently held in three cities across the US, Step Beyond Celiac 5Ks raise funds to support the Beyond Celiac research efforts and help the organization develop a global patient registry of people diagnosed with celiac disease who want to participate in research studies, including clinical trials.
Driven by volunteers, Step Beyond Celiac launched in Kansas City in 2017 to great success – over 400 people participated in the first year and 650 in the second. The event has raised over $100,000 for celiac disease research! Following another successful Kansas City event in 2018, Beyond Celiac launched additional walks in Philadelphia and Dallas for 2019. Most of the success of the Step Beyond Celiac events can be attributed to outstanding volunteer contributions of time and effort, and Beyond Celiac is extremely grateful, and excited for this year’s event!
A world in which people with celiac disease can live healthy lives, free from social stigma and fear of gluten exposure – A world Beyond Celiac.
Beyond Celiac unites with patients and partners to drive diagnosis, advance research and accelerate the discovery of new treatments and a cure.
Potential Impact for Autoimmune Diseases
Finding treatment options and ultimately curing celiac disease will advance research for other autoimmune diseases.1
The Future of Celiac Disease
- Celiac disease is widely recognized as a serious, common, genetic autoimmune disease
- People with celiac disease symptoms, and family members who are genetically at risk, are highly motivated to seek testing and diagnosis from medical professionals
- Medical professionals readily identify symptoms and provide timely and comprehensive diagnosis so that people no longer have to suffer with known and unknown symptoms and hidden consequences of celiac disease
- Medical care treatments are readily available that ensure there are no negative health or lifestyle consequences of being diagnosed with celiac disease
- Insurers, including governments, recognize the benefit of medically treating and, eventually, curing celiac disease and provide coverage to make effective medical treatment affordable for everyone
- Access to appropriate medical care and the standard of care that people diagnosed with celiac disease receive is consistent regardless of geography, social or economic boundaries
- People with celiac disease are receptive to taking new treatments and living a “normal” life, free from the fear of food
- Curing celiac disease provides a gateway to curing other autoimmune diseases
- Beyond Celiac is the recognized conduit for education, exchange of information and partnerships between key stakeholders: patients, scientists and researchers, medical providers, pharmaceutical, diagnostic and biotech companies, and payers
1Fasano A & Shea-Donohue T. Mechanisms of Disease: the role of intestinal barrier function in the pathogenesis of gastrointestinal autoimmune diseases. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2, 416-422 (September 2005) | doi:10.1038/ncpgasthep0259
Beyond Celiac is now accepting applications for a Social Media Volunteer/Intern position for Step Beyond Celiac Dallas
The Dallas social media volunteer/intern will assist our Field Manager and other Dallas volunteers in the development of our 1st Step Beyond Celiac Dallas 5K event. Through social media, the intern will help to promote the event, meet sponsorship deliverables, and develop existing Step Beyond Celiac Dallas social pages. This is an excellent opportunity to help grow an event from the ground up and to work with a large, national nonprofit dedicated to finding a cure for celiac disease.
Field Manager, Fundraising
- Work with our Field Manager and the Dallas Step Beyond Celiac Team to develop, create, and schedule on-target posts for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
- Explore additional avenues of promotion of Step Beyond Celiac Dallas 5K event through social channels
- With assistance, monitor and respond to comments, questions, and inquiries made on Step Beyond Celiac Dallas social media pages
- Promote Step Beyond Celiac Dallas event and additional meetings, information, or other news related to the event.
- Assist in meeting requisite social media deliverables from sponsors of the event
- Grow the following and outreach of Step Beyond Celiac Dallas pages
- Familiarity with Dallas and its community
- An existing, demonstrable knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- A connection to, or interest in, celiac disease
- The ability to write clearly, concisely, and with enthusiasm for Step Beyond Celiac Dallas
- Organizational and time-management skills in addition to the ability to work as a part of a team or on your own
- Working knowledge/ familiarity with social media platforms and page management
- Familiarity with best practices in community engagement through social media
Applicants should send an email including a resume, your interest in the position, and (if applicable) any social media posts that you find relevant to JHunt@Beyondceliac.org.
This position will run until October 12th, 2019, or a few days after.
Don’t want to attend a Step Beyond Celiac walk/run but still want to help advance celiac disease research? You can donate to Beyond Celiac directly!